Re: Lovecraft / Doré / Ernst Mashup Illustrations

Following up on my previous post on the subject, I just discovered the following in a footnote to another Lovecraft story:
"[Lovecraft] was tremendously fond of [Doré's] illustrations for Dante's Inferno (1866), Milton's Paradise Lost (1866), and Coleridge's Rime of the Ancient Mariner (1876). The Ancient Mariner illustrations, which he stumbled upon at the age os six, fostered his interest in weird fiction."
This page shows all of Doré's plates for Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Here are some of my favorites:







1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dore - love his work. And I'm intrigued by your blog. I'm currently engaged in a PhD where my exegesis concerns Lovecraft, & one section will consider how his work inspires illustrations. I hope I can follow your blog.